Hazmat Permit

Hazmat Permit

The transportation of hazardous material, including hazardous wastes, is a legal responsibility that requires registration with the United States Department Of Transportation (DOT). Owners or operators must file an annual statement and pay fees accordingly. (see 49 CFR §§ 107.601 – 107.620). 

The charge funds the development of hazardous materials emergency response planning and training by states, Indian tribes, non-profit organizations, and some professional organizations. This program began in 1992 and is managed by the Department of Transportation’s Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration (PHMSA).

If you transport or offer for transportation in commerce a shipment that contains any of the hazardous materials (including hazardous waste) listed below, you must first register in DOT:

  1. Class 7 (radioactive) material in a regulated quantity on an interstate route, as defined by 49 CFR 173.403. A “highway route-controlled quantity” may be transported by road, rail, air, or water.
  2. Over 25 kg (55 pounds) of Division 1.1, 1.2, or 1.3 (explosive) material (see 49 CFR 173.50) in a motor vehicle, rail car, or freight container.
  3. More than one liter (1.06 quarts) per package of a material that is highly hazardous if breathed in (that is, a “material poisonous by inhalation” that satisfies the criteria for “hazard zone A” as defined in 49 CFR 173.116(a) for gases or 173.133(a) for liquids).
  4. Hazardous material which is in a bulk package greater than 13,248 liters (3,500 gallons) for liquids and gases or greater than 13.24 cubic meters (468 cubic feet) for solids. If a company transports hazardous material with a capacity greater than 3,500 gallons or 468 cubic feet, it must register with DOT.
  5. A shipment in other than a bulk packaging of 2,268 kilograms (5,000 pounds) gross weight or more of one class of hazardous materials (including hazardous wastes) for which placarding of a vehicle, rail car, or freight container is required for that class.
  6. A quantity of hazardous material that requires placarding. The placarding requirements are set by the government in a document called 49 CFR 172 Subpart F. You can find this on our website. Note that you need to placard any hazardous materials, except for Division 6.2 and Class 9 materials, when transporting them in bulk packaging. This includes residues that remain in an un-purged tank truck or rail tank car. If you return such packaging, you must register as an offeror of a placarded shipment of hazardous materials.

HAZMAT Safety Permit

The transportation of hazardous materials requires special permission and licensing now more than ever before. From January 1st, 2005 all motor carriers are required to hold a Federal Hazardous Materials Safety Permit (HMSP) issued by FMCSA.

The following HM transported in these quantities require the motor carrier to have a hazardous material Special Identification Permit (HMSP): 

  • Radioactive Materials – A highway route-controlled quantity (HRCQ) of Class 7 materials, as defined in 49 CFR §173.403.
  • Explosives – More than 25kg (55 pounds) net weight of Division 1.1, 1.2, or 1.3 material, or an amount of a Division 1.5 material requiring a placard. (See: 49 CFR Part 172 Subpart F).
  • Toxic by Inhalation Materials in Hazard Zone A materials in a packaging with a capacity greater than 1 liter (0.26 gallons).
  • Toxic by Inhalation Materials in Hazard Zone B materials in bulk packaging has a capacity greater than 450 L [119 gallons], for liquids and a water capacity greater than 454 kg, [1,000 pounds] for gas receptacles. (49 CFR §171.8 defines bulk packaging for liquids, solids, and gases.)
  • Toxic by Inhalation Materials in Hazard Zone C or D materials in bulk packaging having (3,500) gallons.
  • Methane – A shipment of compressed or refrigerated liquid methane or natural gas or the liquefied gas with a methane content of at least 85% in a bulk packaging having a capacity equal to or greater than 13,248 L (3,500 gallons).